Frequently Asked Questions
How far is Rumors from both Mayan Ruins (Cahal Pech & Xunantunich) and what is the entrance fee for both?
Both are about 10 mins away and each cost $5 USD per person.
Should I convert USD to BZD?
No, there is no need to convert USD currency to BZD because we accept USD (paper bills only, not coins). The conversion is $2 BZD: $1 USD
Is it customary to tip here in Belize and what is the rate? Do you tip the taxis as well?
Here in Belize we don’t have a rate that we use for tipping. Guests can leave any amount they desire to their servers and the staff etc. We don’t tip taxi drivers here in Belize.
Are taxis easily accessible and what are the rates?
Yes, you would need to look for vehicles with a green license plate. The rates are as follows:
– Taxis from the Rumors Resort to town charge $5 USD
– From Rumors to Xunantunich charge $10 USD
– Taxis in towns normally charge $5 USD however you will find some that would take advantage and would like to charge a few more. Try to find another cab that would charge the same rate.
– After 7 pm is when the cabs would charge you a bit more.
How long is the drive from the airport to San Ignacio and from San Ignacio to Placencia or Hopkins?
– Belize City to San Ignacio: 1 ½ hour to 2 hours drive depending on flow of traffic
– San Ignacio to Hopkins: 2 hours drive
– San Ignacio to Placencia: 2 ½ hours to 3 hours drive.
What are the items that you would need to bring for the ATM (Actun Tunichil Muknal) Cave or to go cave tubing?
– For the ATM tour you’d need: water shoes or sneakers, change of clothes, bug spray.
– For cave tubing you’d need: water shoes, change of clothes, bug repellent.
How far is the Airstrip from the hotel?
The airstrip is about a 6 minutes drive from the hotel
When are cruise ship days and are we able to do the ATM (Actun Tunichil Muknal) Cave Tour on that day or only the tubing or ruins?
Cruise ship days are Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Cruise ships don’t go to the ATM cave because they only have limited time before heading back to the ship.
What are some other attractions in San Ignacio?
– The Iguana Project located at the San Ignacio hotel, they have a tour every hour on the hour and you must be at the hotel 15 mins before the tour starts. Cost $7.50 USD per person.
– Ajaw Chocolate & Crafts opens at am and closes at 6pm. don’t need to make any reservations, you can just show up for the tour. This is a cultural, Mayan Cacao demonstration on ancient grinding stone, a hand on experience. Cost is $12 USD per person
– San Ignacio Farmers Market where you will find fresh produce and souvenirs.
– Botanical Garden at Duploys.
How often do buses run and what are the rates?
Buses are scheduled to run every hour- in the mornings there are usually express buses however throughout the day the buses are regular. Each buss ride will cost between $2 BZD-$20 BZD, it’s dependent on the distance.
Is there a post office in San Ignacio?
Yes, there is a post office in San Ignacio Town and it’s functional Mondays-Thursdays 8am-5pm and Fridays 8am-4pm.